Saturday, March 29, 2008

Watching my mailbox

Spring break brought a welcome respite from school. With all this time on my hands I've had lots of time to think about my law school choices and those applications sitting in an inbox somewhere waiting for someone to look at them. I am really anxious this week. I am waiting and wondering if I'll get any positive response.

I've got three applications out so far. I may do one more,but I'm not sure. I want to live and practice in the southeast, so all the schools I've applied to are in that region.

The three so far are-
Georgia State University College of Law- In downtown Atlanta, attached to a great university and much closer to S. They have a great reputation for welcoming older students.

Stetson University College of Law- In Gulfport Florida near Tampa. A beautiful campus and a top 100 law school. A great reputation for legal writing and trial advocacy.

Fl*rida C*astal School of Law - Jacksonville Florida. This is a relatively new school, and they contacted me first and asked me to apply with the offer of a scholarship. This one is the closest to where S lives currently.

Georgia State is the biggest stretch for me based on my test score- but I'm still in the ballpark so to speak so I'm hoping they'll give my application a look. I would love to have some options to choose from! Good thing schools starts on Monday, then I won't have time to worry about it anymore. I'll just be surprised when the letters land in my mailbox.

5 comments:

Lynilu said...

Good luck on this! Have you determined a direction you would like to go with your specialty?

And those ribs sound delicious!

SassyFemme said...

Close to S and a scholarship? Sounds like it might be near the top of the list, or the top of the list.

yankeegirl said...

Lynilu- Thank you for all your kind words! I have many different thoughts about what I'd like to do. I've considered Alternative Dispute Resolution (mediation), public interest law and policy, and human rights/family law for ALL kinds of families. I wrote my personal statement about Lisa Pond and what happend to her family and how'd I'd like to play some small part in seeing that it NEVER happens again.

yankeegirl said...

S- It does put it very near the top- The drawbacks are its a new school, only been around about 12 years. They are ABA accredited, but they don't have a very long track record. Convetional wisdom says go to the best school that accepts you. GA state is ranked the highest of the ones I've applied to. It's #82 in the US News rankings, Stetson is 100, and Fl Coastal is a lowly "Tier 4" school. My local law school that is well regarded in the area, is also a Tier 4, so it doesn't scare me off completely. FL Coastal is also private and "for profit" so it is going to be one of the most expensive options, the scholarship mitigates some of that concern, though.
GSU would be the best all around w/ the most opportunities I think, and it would allow S to go to Graduate school if she wants to. GSU would also give me resident status after my first year, which would make it the most affordable, only about 7K a year for the last two years.

Anonymous said...

Heard anything yet?