Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Week 2

One of my professors offered us this (unsolicited)advice in our first class:

1. In terms of your career, think about how you want to help people. Lawyers have high rates of depression, divorce, etc, and those that are happiest are the ones that have positions where they feel they are helping people or making a difference.

2. Throughout law school- Keep your values. Don't think of the law as a neutral set of rules, think about how it really affects people's lives. In court, make the "values" argument first. After you've convinced the judge with the values argument, most of the time they will look for ways (in the law) to get to that result.

3. Put your family first- law school will suck every minute out of your day if you let it. Create a balance now so you aren't unhappy later.

With that said, I'm abandoning the laptop to spend some quality time at the pool with P.

Did I say that I love law school? :)

4 comments:

Trop said...

Wise words to live by.

SassyFemme said...

Family first has been my guideline for YEARS. It's never once been something I regretted, no matter the cost.

Mon said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'll check yours out this weekend!

Lynilu said...

That is good advice for anyone, in any field. Having done the work I did, I know how easy it is to become over-involved and how personal relationships with children or adults may suffer.

Your little son is adorable. Cherish him. And always take time to be with him. :) Happiness!