Monday, July 02, 2007

One of my dilemmas

My niece is getting married. My sister isn't really having anything to do with me since I moved out and made some changes last year. To the point that when my nephew graduated in June, my stbx and the kids were invited to his party, but not me.

Yesterday my sister called my cell phone. I ignored the called but she left a voice message inviting my daughter and I to a last minute shower for my niece and to see if we were going to the wedding.

I love my niece, and she did invite me, but I so do not want to go to this event. She is marrying a man from England and moving there so if I don't go, I won't see her again for 12-18 months. I have all of my kids this week and if I don't take them somewhere this weekend, I won't have a chance to take them due to all the other summer commitments they have with their dad, band camp, scout camp, etc.

My sister's family are fundamentalist christians, and it seems like to them(mostly her) there is no worse sin than to be gay. I hate the thought of going. I hate the judgment in my sisters voice. I hate the way the kids don't hug me anymore like I have some kind of contagious disease.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

2 comments:

Trop said...

Wow, that really sucks. I just can't understand how people can worship a god that would tear a family apart. Are we not supposed to follow Jesus model and love? Simply love? I'm so sorry for the price you've had to pay for being true to yourself. Were it me, I'd just go to the shower for a brief visit, wish niece all the best, and then make a graceful exit, head held high.

SassyFemme said...

I wouldn't go either.